The Purple Mountain

The Purple Mountain
The Purple Mountain, Nanjing

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bikes and German Beer

Ni Hao!

Hope everyone back home is doing well! Things in Nanjing have been busy, as usual. Thomas and I went to the bike market with a bunch of friends a week weeks ago and bought used (or possibly stolen...??) bikes for a really great price. My bike is an old vintage piece from the seventies that is bright orange with a flower on it and it says “fashion,” haha kind of cool. We love biking around town. It is very easy to get around and we are seeing the city from a totally different perspective.

Last weekend a bunch of us foreign teachers attend an Oktoberfest celebration here in Nanjing, interestingly enough. It wasn’t your typical German bar or party is was more of a white linen wedding than anything else. It was held at a brand new and absolutely beautiful (and expensive!) hotel. The party was on the patio right along the river next to the city wall. It was beautiful! There were games, live music, a bachelor auction, and a raffle. It was a really great time. Oh, and the German micro brew was good too!

Thomas and I both started our tutoring jobs as well. They both seem to be going great and we are making a little extra money on the side that we can save or spend on travel! I’ve really enjoyed tutoring my student. All we do is read together and watch American TV; it’s perfect!

At school here the foreign teachers were expected to write a short article about their time in China that was then published on the school’s website. If anyone is interested in reading what Thomas and I contributed here is the link:

http://www.nflsxl.com/ws2004/KeTangNeiWai/waijiaofengcain/

You can find our articles on the top few links. Our names are listed in the title and there is only one Thomas and Cassandra.

Well, that’s all the information I have for you at the moment. Thomas and I are headed to Shanghai this weekend to attend the world expo. We are leaving right after school and are extremely excited! A typhoon is heading for mainland China this weekend as well so it should be an interesting trip. We will keep you all posted! Love and miss you all!

Zai Jian!

1 comment:

  1. Cassie and Thomas, I finally got caught up on your blog. I have been copying it into a Word Document. I also read both of your articles you wrote. At least I was able to down load those pictures on both of your articles. I like all your pictures, especially the ones with one or both of you in them. I couldn't open some of the pictures, so I guess I missed the bugs. Have fun and keep save!
    love grandma

    ReplyDelete